Prism Eye Institute (PEI) has been serving the communities of North York, Brampton, Oakville/Mississauga and surrounding areas for over 50 years. In 2020 North Toronto Eye Care (NTEC) merged with Prism Eye Institute, to form Prism Group Holdings (Prism) and the largest Ophthalmology practice in Canada. In 2022, PEI further strengthened a partnership with Vision Group Canada (VGC) and is working to expand its footprint nationally. VGC operates over 50 clinics and 70 surgical facilities performing over 100,000 procedures annually. PEI is an internationally renowned institute with 5 facilities and 2 surgical centres, serving over 200,000 patients and perform 10,000 surgeries each year. Prism is a centre of excellence providing a full spectrum of eye care and recognized for handling some of the most complex eye diseases in the world.
Prism is currently looking for Ophthalmic Technicians to join the team. This role is responsible for offering a quality customer service experience and ensuring that a high level of patient care is always maintained. The ability to ensure that proper assessing of doctors needs in relation to prepping patients and testing is also required.
Responsibilities and Technical Requirements
- Greet patients respectfully, pleasantly, professionally and be able to convey concern, relate tactfully and sympathetically at all times.
- Understand the patient registration and informed consents and be able to present.
- Check out patients in a timely and efficient manner to assist in a smooth overall workflow.
- Ensure proper documentation recorded in EMR, in patient logs and office communications, ie., allergies are recorded and patient Hx documented, etc.
- Informs the management team, immediately of situations that have a major impact on business.
- Communicates in a timely manner with manager about any concerns or needs to open and or create more space for appointment demands.
- Reviews appointment schedules a minimum of two days prior, to ensure accuracy of work.
- Assists as needed to other departmental activities when work bottlenecks are observed.
- Ability to obtain and document near, distance and reading vision.
- Ability to obtain patients intraocular eye pressure.
- Diagnostics: Ability to complete the preoperative diagnostic testing (IOL Master, A-Scan, Atlas.)
- Diagnostics: Ability to complete all other diagnostic testing including but not limited to (OCT, HRT, B-Scan, UBM, Visual Field, Optos, ECC.)
- Ensures that the clinic areas are maintained in accordance to guidelines.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Ophthalmology Diploma preferred but relevant experience is considered an asset as well.
- Medical Diploma with 2 or more years of experience is an asset.
- OCT and Visual Field experience is considered an asset.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable talking to patients to fact find and make patients feel comfortable talking to you.
- Ability to follow process and procedures as directed.
- Resourceful and always looking for and suggesting ways to improve things and make processes/testing more effective.
- Ability to think as you work and catch things that might be missed through testing.
- Forward thinking, ability to think and work independently and not just waiting for the queues to begin.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Ophthalmic Technician- Brampton/Oakville” in the subject line.
Prism Eye Institute is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.