Dr. Ike Ahmed is world-renowned for his skills and is recognized as one of the most experienced complex eye surgeons in the world.
Dr. Ahmed has become world renowned for his skills and groundbreaking work in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of highly complex eye diseases including glaucoma and surgical complications. He is recognized as being one of the most experienced complex eye surgeons in the world and has trained numerous surgeons in innovative surgical techniques.
Furthermore, he has been at the leading edge of novel treatments for glaucoma, cataract and lens implant surgery. Patients are referred to him locally, nationally, and from around the world. He has been invited to perform surgery in 4 continents across the globe.
Dr. Ahmed has a keen interest in the development of advanced microsurgical devices and techniques in glaucoma surgery and complicated cataract extraction, and is actively involved in research and medical education at a national and international level. He has received research grants to study glaucoma medications, glaucoma laser and surgical devices/techniques, angle closure glaucoma, anterior segment and retinal/optic nerve imaging in glaucoma, cataract surgical techniques and devices, and intraocular lens designs.
Dr. Ahmed has designed innovative glaucoma diamond scalpels for surgery, microsurgical instrumentation, and devices, implants, and techniques for the management of the dislocated cataract, iris reconstruction, and glaucoma implant devices. He has done pioneering work in innovative glaucoma surgery, developing and coining the term “Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)” as a new genre of surgical approaches and devices. He also performed the first laser cataract surgery in Canada. As a result of his innovative expertise, Dr. Ahmed has been asked to consult for a variety of companies and manufacturers, especially pertaining to the development of new devices and technologies.
2014 Binkhorst Medal
American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, 2014
Awarded for outstanding contributions to the understanding and practice of cataract surgery and IOL implantation
2014 Innovator Award
Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians, 2014
AAO Senior Achievement Award
American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2013
Awarded for substantial contributions to the scientific programs at the Annual Meeting
ACOS Visionary Award
American-European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery, 2013
Annual Glaucoma Research Award for Best Published Paper of 2012
Canadian Glaucoma Society, 2012
Awarded for the best glaucoma paper published from a Canadian researcher for “The Ahmed versus Baerveldt Study: One-Year Treatment Outcomes”
ASCRS “Best Paper of Session” Award
Symposium on Cataract, IOL and Refractive Surgery, 2012
Award in Glaucoma for “Intracanalicular Scaffold for IOP Reduction After Cataract Surgery in Mild to Moderate Open-Angle Glaucoma.”
ASCRS Glaucoma Day “Reay of Hope” Award
Symposium on Cataract, IOL and Refractive Surgery, 2012
Toronto medical student every three years.
Assistant Professor, University of Toronto
Clinical Professor, University of Utah
Fellowship Director, Glaucoma & Anterior Segment Surgery (GAASS) Fellowship, University of Toronto
Research Director, Kensington Eye Institute, University of Toronto
Division Head, Ophthalmology, Trillium Health Partners, Mississauga, ON
Medical Director, GoEyeCare, Mississauga, Ontario
Co-Medical Director, TLC Mississauga
Dr. Ahmed has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers, as well as numerous book chapters, and has won five film festival awards, six best papers of session, and a poster award at ASCRS, as well as an ESCRS first place video award and AAO “Best of Show” award. He has given over 750 scientific presentations thus far in his career, including 31 visiting professor’s lectures around the world.
- Johnstone, M. A., Saheb, H., Ahmed, I. I. K., Samuelson, T. W., Schieber, A. T., & Toris, C. B. (2013). Effects of a Schlemm canal scaffold on collector channel ostia in human anterior segments. Experimental Eye Research, 119C, 70–76. doi:10.1016/j.exer.2013.12.011
- Grierson, I., Saheb, H., Kahook, M. Y., Johnstone, M. A., Ahmed, I. I. K., Schieber, A. T., & Toris, C. B. (2013). A Novel Schlemm’s Canal Scaffold: Histologic Observations. Journal of Glaucoma. doi:10.1097/IJG.0000000000000012
- Netland, P. A., Sarkisian, S. R., Moster, M. R., Ahmed, I. I. K., Condon, G., Salim, S., et al. (2013). Randomized, Prospective, Comparative Trial of EX-PRESS Glaucoma Filtration Device versus Trabeculectomy (XVT Study). American Journal of Ophthalmology. doi:10.1016/j.ajo.2013.09.014
- Tam, D. Y., Barnebey, H. S., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2013). Nd: YAG laser goniopuncture: indications and procedure. Journal of Glaucoma, 22(8), 620–625. doi:10.1097/IJG.0b013e31824d512a
- Christakis, P. G., Tsai, J. C., Kalenak, J. W., Zurakowski, D., Cantor, L. B., Kammer, J. A., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2013). The Ahmed Versus Baerveldt Study: Three-Year Treatment Outcomes. Ophthalmology. doi:10.1016/j.ophtha.2013.04.018
- Saheb, H., Ianchulev, T., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2013). Optical coherence tomography of the suprachoroid after CyPass Micro-Stent implantation for the treatment of open-angle glaucoma. The British Journal of Ophthalmology. doi:10.1136/bjophthalmol-2012-302951
- Buys, Y. M., Jin, Y.-P., & Group, C. G. R. F. S. (2013). Socioeconomic status as a risk factor for late presentation of glaucoma in Canada. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology Journal Canadien D’ophtalmologie, 48(2), 83–87. doi:10.1016/j.jcjo.2012.10.003
- Gulati, V., Fan, S., Hays, C. L., Samuelson, T. W., Ahmed, I. I. K., & Toris, C. B. (2013). A Novel 8-mm Schlemm’s Canal Scaffold Reduces Outflow Resistance in a Human Anterior Segment Perfusion Model. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 54(3), 1698–1704. doi:10.1167/iovs.12-11373
- Hoeh, H., Ahmed, I. I. K., Grisanti, S., Grisanti, S., Grabner, G., Nguyen, Q. H., et al. (2013). Early postoperative safety and surgical outcomes after implantation of a suprachoroidal micro-stent for the treatment of open-angle glaucoma concomitant with cataract surgery. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, 39(3), 431–437. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2012.10.040
- Belovay, G. W., Naqi, A., Chan, B. J., Rateb, M., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2012). Using multiple trabecular micro-bypass stents in cataract patients to treat open-angle glaucoma. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, 38(11), 1911–1917. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2012.07.017
- Katz, L. J., Steinmann, W. C., Kabir, A., Molineaux, J., Wizov, S. S., Marcellino, G., SLT/Med Study Group. (2012). Selective laser trabeculoplasty versus medical therapy as initial treatment of glaucoma: a prospective, randomized trial. Journal of Glaucoma, 21(7), 460–468. doi:10.1097/IJG.0b013e318218287f
- Buys, Y. M., Gaspo, R., Kwok, K., Canadian Glaucoma Risk Factor Study Group. (2012). Referral source, symptoms, and severity at diagnosis of ocular hypertension or open-angle glaucoma in various practices. Canadian journal of ophthalmology Journal canadien d’ophtalmologie, 47(3), 217–222. doi:10.1016/j.jcjo.2012.03.031
- Rai, A. S., Varma, D. K., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2012). Suture fixation of iris-claw intraocular lens. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, 38(5), 743–745. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2012.02.018
- Gooi, P., & Ahmed, I. K. (2012). Review of presbyopic IOLs: multifocal and accommodating IOLs. International ophthalmology clinics, 52(2), 41–50. doi:10.1097/IIO.0b013e31824b87be
- Camras, L. J., Yuan, F., Fan, S., Samuelson, T. W., Ahmed, I. K., Schieber, A. T., & Toris, C. B. (2012). A novel Schlemm’s Canal scaffold increases outflow facility in a human anterior segment perfusion model. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 53(10), 6115–6121. doi:10.1167/iovs.12-9570
- Saheb, H., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2012). Micro-invasive glaucoma surgery: current perspectives and future directions. Current opinion in ophthalmology, 23(2), 96–104. doi:10.1097/ICU.0b013e32834ff1e7
- Buys, Y. M., Harasymowycz, P., Gaspo, R., Kwok, K., Hutnik, C. M. L., Blondeau, P., et al. (2012). Comparison of newly diagnosed ocular hypertension and open-angle glaucoma: ocular variables, risk factors, and disease severity. Journal of Ophthalmology, 2012, 757106. doi:10.1155/2012/757106
- Teichman, J. C., Vold, S. D., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2012). Top 5 pearls for implanting premium IOLs in patients with glaucoma. International ophthalmology clinics, 52(2), 65–71. doi:10.1097/IIO.0b013e31824b3ec0
- Slomovic, A. R., Rocha, G., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2012). Advanced technology intraocular lasers (IOLs) in cataract surgery. Preface. International ophthalmology clinics, 52(2), xv–xvi. doi:10.1097/01.iio.0000413245.66290.e8
- Habeeb, S. Y., Varma, D. K., & Ahmed, I. I. K. (2011). Oblique illumination and trypan blue to enhance visualization through corneal scars in cataract surgery. Canadian journal of ophthalmology Journal canadien d’ophtalmologie, 46(6), 555–556. doi:10.1016/j.jcjo.2011.09.019