Dr. Amrit S. Rai MD FRCSC completed his Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHSc) and Doctor of Medicine (MD) degrees at McMaster University. During his undergraduate studies, Dr. Rai remained at the top of his class. Upon graduating medical school, he completed a research fellowship in Glaucoma and Advanced Anterior Segment Surgery at the University of Toronto.
He then completed his Ophthalmology residency training at the University of Toronto where he was recognized for his academic mastery. Dr. Rai repeatedly received the top marks on departmental exams and upon graduation was recognized as having the highest academic standing after 5 years of residency training. He also excelled in the operating room and received the Kensington Eye Institute (KEI) award for top surgical resident. Dr. Rai constantly strives for excellence when caring for his patients.
Dr. Rai is a board-certified Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC). He is a medical and surgical Comprehensive Ophthalmologist with a focus in cataract surgery. He can provide medical, laser, and/or surgical treatment for a wide variety of ophthalmological conditions. He is interested in global health and completed a Global Health Education Initiative Program at the University of Toronto during his residency. He has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and textbook chapters.
Dr. Rai enjoys staying active by playing tennis, soccer and snowboarding. He is able to serve patients in English and Punjabi.
2009, Bachelor of Health Sciences, McMaster University
2012, Doctor of Medicine, McMaster University
2015, Research Fellowship in Glaucoma and Advanced Anterior Segment Surgery, University of Toronto
2016, Ophthalmology, University of Toronto
2020, Global Health Education Initiative Certificate Program, University of Toronto
Kensington Eye Institute (KEI) Award for the resident with the top surgical standing after five years at the University of Toronto.
Woywitka Cup Award for the resident with the top academic standing after five years at the University of Toronto.
American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) “Best of Show” Award for top surgical video at the annual meeting.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Ontario Medical Association
Canadian Medical Association
Canadian Ophthalmological Society
Eye Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Felfeli, T, Rai AS, Braga-Mele R, Mandelcorn ED, Hatch W, Rai AS. Spread of Respiratory Droplets in a Simulated Ophthalmic Surgery. Ophthalmology. 2020;10. DOI: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2020.09.043
- Rai AS, Mele R, Rai AS, Braga-Mele, R. Addressing the Concerns of Aerosolization During Phacoemulsification Due to COVID-19. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2020 doi:10.1097/j.jcrs.0000000000000314
- Rai AS, Mele R, Rai AS, Braga-Mele, R. (2020, June). Addressing phaco aerosolization concerns due to COVID-19: A human cadaveric eye with trypan blue. ASCRS EyeWorld. Retrieved from https://www.eyeworld.org/addressing-phaco-aerosolization-concerns-due-covid-19-humancadaveric-eye-trypan-blue
- Ta Kim DT, Rai AS, Muni RH. Surgical management of a live intravitreal nematode. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2020;19:100721. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajoc.2020.100721
- Rai AS. (2020, January). A Model of Efficiency From the Eyes of a Resident Physician. Longwoods Essays. Retrieved from https://www.longwoods.com/content/26113//a-model-of-efficiencyfrom-the-eyes-of-a-resident-physician
- Margolin EA, Rai AS, Goldfarb J, Zaslavsky K, Kohly R, Nicholson P. Dramatic recovery of vision in patient with acute central retinal artery occlusion treated with local intra-arterial tissue plasminogen activator. BMJ Case Reports. 2020;13(4).pii:e234505.
- Rai AS, Freund P, Margolin EA, Micieli JA. Numerous cotton wool spots from giant cell arteritis. J Clin Rheumatol. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1097/RHU.0000000000000995
- Rai AS (2019) Chapter 2: Red Eye. In: Weisbrod, D; Felfeli T; El-Defrawy, S (Eds.). Toronto Guide to Clinical Ophthalmology for Physicians and Medical Trainees. Toronto, ON, Canada: Brush Education
- Rai AS, Shoham-Hazon N, Christakis PG, Rai AS, Ahmed IIK. Comparison of the Ahmed and Baerveldt glaucoma shunts with combined cataract extraction. Can J Ophthalmol. 2018;53(2):124-130.
- Rai AS, Rai AS, Mavrikakis E, Lam WC. Teaching binocular indirect ophthalmoscopy to novice residents using an augmented reality simulator. Can J Ophthalmol. 2017;52(5):430-434.
- Coroneos CJ, Roth-Albin K, Rai AS, Rai AS, Voineskos SH, Brouwers MC, Avram R, Heller B. Barriers, beliefs and practice patterns for breast cancer reconstruction: A provincial survey. Breast. 2017;32:60-65. doi:10.1016/j.breast.2016.12.012.
- Rai AS, Ahmed IIK (2016) Impianti Drenanti Antiglaucomatosi (Glaucoma Drainage Devices) In L Caretti & L Buratto (Eds.) Chirurgia del Glaucoma (Glaucoma Surgery) (pp. 101 – 131). Moasca, AT, Italy: Fabiano Gruppo Editoriale